- We all knew that the SEC was going to have some of the best defenses in the nation with Alabama, LSU and South Carolina, but I don’t think anyone expected the defensive force that is the Florida Gators. The Gators absolutely shut down the Gamecocks and if they can do the same thing to Georgia next week, we will be looking at the SEC East Champ.
- The story of Johnny Football at Texas A&M came to a thud against the LSU defense at home yesterday. The SEC leader in total offense was held to 27 rushing yards on 17 carries and was forced into 3 INTs as the LSU Tigers stayed in control of their own BCS destiny.
- The Heisman trophy looks to be moving from one Manhattan to another after the Collin Klien led Kansas State Wildcats destroyed the West Virginia Mountaineers in West Virginia yesterday. Klein threw for 3 and ran for 4 touchdowns to cement himself as the Heisman favorite. Geno Smith’s Heisman hopes were dashed as he struggled against the K-State defense and threw his first 2 INTs of the season.
- The Duke Blue Devils are bowl bound for the first time since 1994, after their win at home against UNC. Sean Renfree’s 5-yard TD pass to Jamison Crowder with 13 seconds left put the Blue Devils up for good and got them their first win vs. UNC since 2003. David Cutcliffe will be in many coach of the year conversations.
- Whose seat is hotter this morning, Jeff Tedford (Cal), Derek Dooley (UT) or Gene Chizik (Auburn)?
- The Catholics survived the Mormon invasion and remained unbeaten, but trips to Oklahoma and USC still loom on the horizon. Even with loses to both teams a BCS bid would be secured if they finish with 2 loses. A BCS title game berth would be there if they finish undefeated.
- The big games to watch this week that will shape the BCS Championship race are Notre Dame at Oklahoma, Florida at Georgia and Mississippi State at Alabama.
Jumbo’s Top 5:
3. Kansas State
5. Notre Dame